Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts is the oldest ballpark in Major League Baseball. The park was opened in 1912 and it still looks pretty much the same. Construction of Fenway Park – so named because it was built in the “Fens” section of Boston – began in September 1911 when Red Sox owner John Taylor decided to build a new ballpark to replace Huntington Avenue Grounds. Fenway was built in one year with one level of seating the original version of Fenway Park had a capacity of 27,000. The red brick facade remains to this day. The original dimensions were 321 ft. (left), 488 ft. (center), and 314 ft. (right). In front of the left field fence was an unusual hill – a ten-foot embankment that became known as Duffy’s Cliff. The embankment was finally removed in 1934.
Fenway Park Facts
– The lone red seat in the right field bleachers marks the spot of the longest home run ever hit inside Fenway Park landed. It was hit by Red Sox slugger Ted Williams on June 9, 1946. No one has ever hit a fair ball out of Center of Right field at Fenway Park.
– In 1974, Willie Horton hit a foul ball at Fenway Park that killed a pigeon in flight.
– The first ever MLB foul ball safety screen was installed in Fenway Park.
– Fenway is the only Major League ballpark with a defunct ladder as part of the playing field. The ladder is on the left field wall known as the Green Monster and is 13 feet above the playing field. It was used to allow groundskeepers access to balls hit into the netting over the wall (that netting was removed in 2003 when seats were placed above the wall). The ladder however remains, and if hit, is the only ground rule triple in all of Major League Baseball.
– The manual scoreboard in left field was installed in 1934. The old scoreboard was moved (about twenty feet to the right) in 1976. The manual scoreboard features 16″ x 16″ alpha / numeric signs. The back of the scoreboard includes autographs from the ballplayers who appeared in left field.